This summer, I have been doing a ton of traveling: Toronto, Chicago, Traverse City and Colorado Springs. For me, traveling means shopping. Shopping in a new city can be overwhelming. I'm excited to share my tips and tricks for shopping while you travel.
Vacations are special, once-in-a-lifetime opportunities, that most people aren’t able to take as often as they would like. Taking a moment to do a little shopping will create a memory and the items you buy will be a constant reminder of your trip and experiences.
Here are a couple tips to make sure that your destination shopping experience is rewarding:
· When packing for your trip, leave a little room in your suitcase for some new goodies. There's nothing worse than getting slammed with fees from the airline because your luggage is too heavy. Plan ahead!
· Walk to your destination and experience the city: this way, you not only get exercise, you explore the city as you shop. You will start to understand the layout of the city and the unique intricacies of each area you are exploring.
· Wear comfortable clothes and shoes, but stay trend right: being comfortable does not mean looking sloppy. The sneaker trend is perfect right now for looking chic, but making sure you won't have to cut your day short due to sore feet. Pair your sneakers with an easy dress, jeans or leggings.
· Shop unique: look for specialty stores and one-of-a-kind areas to shop. Each city has it’s own vibe, and when you shop specialty, you can full immerse yourself in the city's culture.
· Buy unique: look for unique pieces that you can’t find at home. That way, every time you look at the piece, it will remind you of the city and the trip. The item does not have to be expensive, it just needs to give you happiness and a sense of remembering when you look at it.
· Go with your gut on a purchase: If you love it, buy it! You probably won’t be able to find it later, and if it’s right, you’ll know it…go for it! And if you’re not in love with it, don’t buy it!
· Ask locals for cool and trendy new restaurants, especially when you’re in a store you love: the best restaurants and new experiences usually come from references, and when you’re in a really cool trendy store, it’s a great time to ask questions about the city and places to go.
Shopping while traveling can take your trip up another notch. Those special pieces you purchase, and the special places you explore can be fun, exciting and memorable.
Here are a couple of my favorite items from my recent shopping trips:
I LOVE these earrings. The drop style is a great way to elongate your face for a slimming effect. The circle is so now, and I love how delicate they are. I went to Toronto to see U2 with 2 of my best friends and we all bought something at this store because everything was amazing! They will forever be a reminder of this trip and our friendship.
Nordstrom Anniversary Sale! It’s a tradition for me! I went with 4 other girlfriends and we had a great time. We spent the ENTIRE day in Nordstrom. I found these most amazing shoes by Jeffery Campbell (one of my favorite designers!) Pearls, pearls, pearl. All of the high-end designers are using pearls and it looks so fresh.
We also shopped some great little specialty stores, and we had to visit one of my friend’s favorite accessory store Pistachio, where they feature specialty designers from all over the country. It definitely didn’t disappoint! I found this beautiful pearl ring. I love that the base is steel. What an amazing way to mix old and new. Such a modern twist on a classic. I had to have it immediately.
I had to share this picture, because taking that little break with friends while shopping (and a little champagne) makes it even better!
Wine, wine and more wine! That was the main purchase in Traverse City! Three girlfriends came to visit me in Grand Rapids and we took a trip up to wine country. Talk about some great memories. A few months down the road, when we open these wines, we will be able to reminece about the trip when we bought them and the memories we made.
Until next time...